Happy New Year to all of you. We were told about problems people have had with generators in Nigeria and we decided to do a search in the Nigerian papers to confirm if these problems were common. This is what we found. A disturbing trend that we hope to help our readers avoid.
Read some excerpts below.
“RECENTLY, a new-wed couple choked to death from generator fumes in their new home on the outskirt of Calabar, Cross River State. Around the same time, in Ibadan, Oyo State, a 69-year-old man passed away along with seven other members of his family after they were overcome by fumes from a portable generator that was running on the first floor of their home. Reports indicated that the level of fumes inside the home was three times the danger limit.
Prior to this incident, in Abeokuta, Ogun State, two teenagers died from generator fumes poisoning because the generator they were using to power ceiling fans was too close to the room in which they slept. Much later, in Agege area of Lagos State, a middle aged man who was running a generator in his basement died in his sleep when the generator fumes infiltrated his bedroom.
In yet another incidence somewhere on the Lagos mainland, a 30-year-old man who went to bed with his family while a generator was running in his garage, also died along with them as a result of the close proximity of the device. In Abuja, between June 2012 and March 2013, four people died in separate incidents as a result of poisoning from generator fumes.” Vanguard October 9,2013.
This was what happened on May 28, when Mrs. Chinyere Celestine, and four of her children were found dead in their home off Goodnews Street, in Azikoro suburb, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.
They were said to have died in their sleep that night, while the generator was still on.
The father of the children and husband of Chinyere, identified as Celestine, who was said to be in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, when the tragedy occurred, had called a neighbour when he could not reach his wife on telephone the next day. After several attempts to wake the victims, the neighbour raised the alarm that compelled other neighbours to force the door open. They found the victims’ lifeless bodies.
A similar incident happened on January 3, when death shattered the usual early morning quietude of Robiyan, a sleepy town near Ijoko in Ifo Local Government, Ogun State.
On that fateful day, residents discovered the lifeless bodies of an 80 year-old woman, identified as Madam Kuburat, and her four grandchildren, including a toddler, in a newly completed house. The generator, which was placed in the veranda of the house, was left running all night while the doors and windows were locked.
Punch June 9 2013
“The family had gathered in a village in the Isiala-Ngwa district of Abia to pray for one of their own whom they said was being haunted by evil spirits”.
At least 17 people died at a prayer meeting in rural Nigeria after apparently breathing noxious fumes from their power generator while asleep, police and witnesses said on Wednesday.
Dalje.com July 2008.
Emekuku Family of 9 Died Of Generator Fume – Imo State Govt
On Monday July 9th, nine members of the same family died mysteriously in their home. Neighbours and other family members said their deaths was spiritual.
But the Imo state government said it has finally unraveled the cause of death of the Emekuku family. According to the autopsy result released yesterday by the State Commissioner for Health, Dr Obi Njoku, they were killed by generator fume poisoning.
The commissioner said the family slept and forgot to switch off their generator set and subsequently died as a result of the generator fume they inhaled while asleep and not by ‘evil spirits’
Linda Ikeji’s Blog
These news stories I lifted from the first page of my Google search. This happens daily and there are no official statistics kept by anyone of the real numbers.
Don’t let power take you down. Consider green alternative from Atlantic Waste & Power, Inc.
visit our us at http://atlanticwastepower.com/catalogue/. If you don’t find a solution that meets your needs email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can custom tailor a solution for you.